Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferencesFrequently Asked QuestionsRegistration is free!check the newsstreams & 

mixesHere you can listen 2 other members´ tunes or upload 

your own onesCalendarSearch 

Contact Us / Shouts
drumandbass.at : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.4 drumandbass.at > MIXES/(M)TRACKS > >MIX< - Calyx - Doa Mix (May 05) Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Shroombab
high tension sista

Reg.: May 2001

>MIX< - Calyx - Doa Mix (May 05)

1. Calyx & ill.skillz – Thru Your Eyes
tease ====&gt; The Baby Nambos – Ancoats 2 Zambia (Dillinja Remix)
2. Teebee – State Of Unrest
3. Optical – The Shining (Ed Rush & Optical Remix)
4. Break – Void Dweller
5. Calyx – Illusions
6. Kontrol & OB1 – Angels & Demons
7. Calyx & Teebee – Follow The Leader VIP
8. Drifter – She Gives Me Forever
9. Teebee – Catch My Breath
10. Skynet – Broken Law
11. Ed Rush & Optical – The Medicine (Matrix Remix)
12. Gridlok & Rymetime – Don’t Hold Back
13. DBridge – Love’s Ugly Child
14. Fierce & Break – Reigning Hell
15. Pan – Next To You
16. Optical – To Shape The Future Remix
17. Noisia – Meedoen
18. Konflict – The Mummy
19. Calyx & Teebee – Cyclone
20. Break – Spirits
21. Ed Rush & Optical – Sicknote – (ill.skillz Remix)
tease ====&gt; Konflict – Fucking Hostile
22. Goldie – Say You Love Me
23. DBridge – Without Answers
24. Optical – The Bounce
25. Echo – Out Of Time (Calyx Remix)
26. Skynet – Carbon Shock (Noisia Remix)
27. Calyx – Are You Ready (Hive & Gridlok Remix)
28. Chase & Status – Menace
29. Noisia – Concussion
30. Konflict – Startrails
31. Calyx – Get Myself To You
32. Optical & Rymetime – We Enter
33. Calyx – Killa (Dom & Roland Remix)
34. Calyx – Tearing Us Apart
35. Fresh & Fierce – Thin Air – Quadrant Remix
36. Calyx & Gridlok – Dead Ringer

DOA: What particular event influenced you to move from Jazz into Drum and Bass, from Guitar to Sampler?

Calyx: I wouldn’t say there was any one particular event, more a transition over a couple of years. I’d been into DnB for a while before I got the urge to produce, but I was first inspired to make my own tracks after hearing tunes like Krust’s True Stories, Optical’s Moving 808s, Goldie’s Sea of Tears & Dillinja’s Silver Blade… a whole load of tracks that emerged in a short space of time that were creating sounds and music that just blew me away. The transition from Guitar to sampler was also gradual…. As the demand for tunes and gigs rose, I started reducing the amount of Jazz-guitar work I was doing, until ultimately DnB took over everything. I really miss the marathon sessions & gigs, but I know I’ll have more time to immerse myself back in it later on in life.

DOA: Most people know that Calyx is a one-man project, but it hasn't always been like that. How did the collaboration with Chris rush go on, studio and vibe-wise? Although you frequently collaborate with heads, do you miss having a stable production partner?

Calyx: I’m sure I wouldn’t be making DnB today had I not started out with Chris. Aside from enjoying making tunes with a good friend, there are massive benefits to sharing the experience of learning engineering techniques & developing knowledge. I can imagine that doing it all on your own from the start would be so much harder…. rarely having someone in the studio with you to discuss what you think or are trying to understand. After Chris gave up production in 2000, I certainly felt lost for a year or two, and I’d say one of the main factors in finding my feet as a solo artist was to start collaborating with others. The buzz of doing tracks with other people then carries into my own solo tunes….. so I generally try to alternate collabs & solo tunes with the aim of keeping an inspired mind and fresh ears for both.

DOA: The scene is buzzing following the release of No turning back. how much effort did you put into that? Is it a milestone in your career, a journey through your actual sound, or merely a collection of tracks that were aching to be released?

Calyx: For me personally, I would say it is a milestone as it’s my first album after seven years of endless 12”s and E.P.s. I wouldn’t say it was necessarily a journey through everything that I’m about, or everything I’m into, but it certainly reflects the spectrum of sound I wanted to explore that year & in that collection of tracks. I agonised over having a wider variation in genres & styles for the album, but when I look back at my favorite DnB albums down the years, they all have an identifiable “sound” to them that gives them a recognisable character and identity, and in the last couple of years I have been striving to feel & create my own identity and sound, so that’s what I wanted to project onto the album. I certainly plan on continuing the evolution of my production, knowledge & what I’m into, so I’m sure my music will be completely different by the time I do another album.

DOA: How is the sound of drumandbass today compared to the early sounds of NoU Turn and Audio Couture, for example? There are kids out there who weren't around those times. Are they missing an important part of dnb history? What would you recommend they listen to from that era?

Calyx: The sound is profoundly different! Whilst I miss so many things about the sound and feel of the music back then, I am loving the diversity & variation that can be found in DnB now (even though that diversity occupies less of the mainstream than it used to), and I suppose the sounds of early Audio Couture & No-U-Turn are also completely different to the music that spawned them. My recommendations for tunes from those labels would be the legendary collaborations between the No-U-Turn regulars, Nico, Ed Rush, Trace, Fierce & Dom, and from Audio Couture I’d recommend some of the first releases by Teebee, Polar & myself ;-) Tunes I would recommend from that era are so many I wouldn’t know where to begin. If I had to pick one release that sums up what I loved most about those days it would be the Prototype Years album…… So many mindblowing tunes.

DOA: Your studio setup pics send shivers up producers' spines...which particular piece of equipment are you most fond of and use everyday?

Calyx: My Soundtracs mixing desk. For now, at least, it is my most indispensable piece of equipment and I never tire of it’s warm analogue sound!

DOA: What's the single most important studio advice you'd give out to upcoming producers?

Calyx: Cross reference your tracks with tracks by other procducers whose mixdowns you like & respect. That way it isn’t so important what your monitors are or what the acoustics are like in your studio space, simply flick between your own track & the track you’re cross-referencing with, and compare different aspects of the mix….. the overall loudness, the tops in the hats, cymbals or shakers, the frequency range of the breaks, kicks & snare, the level & frequency content of the bass, etc…..

DOA: What's a typical day in the life of Calyx?

Calyx: Last year most days would involve locking myself in the studio & working long sessions….. some lasting a few days. Then I’d recover for a couple of days & repeat the process. This year I’m really stepping up the Djing again, so my days & weeks have become a lot more structured. The first few days of the week are spent entirely in the studio. Minimum sleep, maximum graft! Then as the weekend approaches, I go into AIM-whore mode in the hunt for new tunes. Then it’s gigs at the weekend & back in the studio on Monday.

DOA: You're constantly quoted as alongside Teebee, Klute, Photek, Calyx. What do you think you have in common? Your music is also often labeled as tech. Are you comfortable with that?

Calyx: I think that what we have in common is a we are all still driven by a love of the same aspects of DnB that got us into the music in the first place….. back when the music was often heralded as an eclectic future music…… we still want the Drum and Bass we make to be more than just “dancefloor” music (even if we don’t always make it more than that). As for being labelled ‘tech’, that’s fine by me. It’s definitely not how I would describe my tunes, but definitions are subjective, so people can label them however they want.

DOA: In a recent interview, Teebee spoke about starting a sort of medialab in conjunction with Photek and yourself. What would your role be in the company? If the actual scheme isn't so clear, what are you supposed/would like to do?

Calyx: The scheme is so unclear to me that this is the first I’ve heard of it! Big up Teebee for wanting me to be involved, but I reckon he thought that up & forgot about it in the space of that interview!

DOA: There's a host of young, talented producers emerging these days. Who do you rate as the biggest breakthrough in 2005-2006? Who of them would you like to collaborate with?

Calyx: I don’t know who the biggest breakthrough is yet, but I’m almost certain they will be from outside the UK. There are so many talented producers coming through from abroad, and for me that’s the most promising thing about the state of DnB right now.

taken from : http://www.dogsonacid.com

see more

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-06-2005 - 23:37
Shroombab is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shroombab Click here to Send Shroombab a Private Message Click Here to Email Shroombab Visit Shroombab's homepage! Find more posts by Shroombab Add Shroombab to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shroombab
high tension sista

es kann doch nicht sein, dass hier keiner auf calyx's beatz steht?

sein album ist einfach DAS highlight von 2005 bisher (für mich)...

-->>
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJ.Shroombab

for bookings, write me a PM!

Old Post 02-06-2005 - 11:38
Shroombab is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shroombab Click here to Send Shroombab a Private Message Click Here to Email Shroombab Visit Shroombab's homepage! Find more posts by Shroombab Add Shroombab to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
djSnare
strictlybeatsmassive

Reg.: Apr 2005

ich steh drauf!!

bin aber grad im büro und kanns nicht saugen...

aber gleich mal wenn ich zu Hause bin...

@ shroombab

freu mich schon auf Wiesen, da seh ich dich endlich mal!!!

Old Post 02-06-2005 - 12:56
djSnare is offline Click Here to See the Profile for djSnare Click here to Send djSnare a Private Message Click Here to Email djSnare Visit djSnare's homepage! Find more posts by djSnare Add djSnare to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
intoxicated
detoxicated

Reg.: Jul 2003

doch, hier!

>> <<

Old Post 02-06-2005 - 12:57
intoxicated is offline Click Here to See the Profile for intoxicated Click here to Send intoxicated a Private Message Click Here to Email intoxicated Visit intoxicated's homepage! Find more posts by intoxicated Add intoxicated to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrrooh
board freak

Reg.: May 2004

ich saug gerade...
calyx r0x0rs the b0x0rs
bin scho ganz gierig hehe 67% mit 280KB/s gleich gleich

edit: also mix is

Last edited by mrrooh on 02-06-2005 at - 15:40

Old Post 02-06-2005 - 15:34
mrrooh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mrrooh Click here to Send mrrooh a Private Message Click Here to Email mrrooh Visit mrrooh's homepage! Find more posts by mrrooh Add mrrooh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
obs.neurosis
needs his medication

Reg.: Feb 2005

quote:
Originally posted by Shroombab
es kann doch nicht sein, dass hier keiner auf calyx's beatz steht?

sein album ist einfach DAS highlight von 2005 bisher (für mich)...

doch doch! nur erst jetzt am saugen!

thnx miss shroombab!

big big

greetz,
chris

Old Post 03-06-2005 - 11:01
obs.neurosis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for obs.neurosis Click here to Send obs.neurosis a Private Message Click Here to Email obs.neurosis Visit obs.neurosis's homepage! Find more posts by obs.neurosis Add obs.neurosis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ozenfant
mo' cowbell!

Reg.: Aug 2003

und ich sitz hier hinter einer 56k-schmalspur, zutzl mit heißen 3,4-4,2kb/s an diesem wahnsinns-set...
fünf stunden kann ich die leitung aba nimmer blocken...

schickt mir wer das auf cd?

Old Post 04-06-2005 - 14:57
ozenfant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ozenfant Click here to Send ozenfant a Private Message Click Here to Email ozenfant Visit ozenfant's homepage! Find more posts by ozenfant Add ozenfant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrrooh
board freak

Reg.: May 2004

4kb/s da schick ichs da ja schneller aufs handy

Old Post 04-06-2005 - 15:00
mrrooh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mrrooh Click here to Send mrrooh a Private Message Click Here to Email mrrooh Visit mrrooh's homepage! Find more posts by mrrooh Add mrrooh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ashes
lemming

Reg.: Jun 2002

Cool, danke fürs posten.

Old Post 04-06-2005 - 21:02
ashes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ashes Click here to Send ashes a Private Message Find more posts by ashes Add ashes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
obs.neurosis
needs his medication

Reg.: Feb 2005

quote:
Originally posted by mrrooh
4kb/s da schick ichs da ja schneller aufs handy

hm... also bei mir waren es um die 70kb/s

naja...kann ja nicht jeder so viel glück haben...

greetz....

Old Post 05-06-2005 - 03:06
obs.neurosis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for obs.neurosis Click here to Send obs.neurosis a Private Message Click Here to Email obs.neurosis Visit obs.neurosis's homepage! Find more posts by obs.neurosis Add obs.neurosis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shroombab
high tension sista

quote:
Originally posted by ozenfant
und ich sitz hier hinter einer 56k-schmalspur, zutzl mit heißen 3,4-4,2kb/s an diesem wahnsinns-set...
fünf stunden kann ich die leitung aba nimmer blocken...

ich kanns dir am 1.juli nach berlin mitnehmen

-->>
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJ.Shroombab

for bookings, write me a PM!

Old Post 05-06-2005 - 14:06
Fatish69

Reg.: Nov 2004

quote:

...glaubst dablost des dei anlag überhaupt

www.myspace.com/sofanatic

Old Post 05-06-2005 - 23:41
Fatish69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fatish69 Click here to Send Fatish69 a Private Message Click Here to Email Fatish69 Find more posts by Fatish69 Add Fatish69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fatish69

37:00>>>

Old Post 06-06-2005 - 00:03
Fatish69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fatish69 Click here to Send Fatish69 a Private Message Click Here to Email Fatish69 Find more posts by Fatish69 Add Fatish69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ozenfant
mo' cowbell!

quote:
Originally posted by Fatish69

...glaubst dablost des dei anlag überhaupt

hab ja meine supertollen kopfhörer mit...! und zwei mini-futzi "boxen" in stecknadelkopfgröße...

...und bin nach zig "resume transfers" schon bei heißen 28%... dh den anfang kenn ich schon auswendig!

quote:
Calyx & ill.skillz – Thru Your Eyes

bist-du-deppad!?!!!

Last edited by ozenfant on 06-06-2005 at - 00:31

Old Post 06-06-2005 - 00:28
ozenfant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ozenfant Click here to Send ozenfant a Private Message Click Here to Email ozenfant Visit ozenfant's homepage! Find more posts by ozenfant Add ozenfant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fatish69

quote:

hab ja meine supertollen kopfhörer mit...! und zwei mini-futzi "boxen" in stecknadelkopfgröße...

...und bin nach zig "resume transfers" schon bei heißen 28%... dh den anfang kenn ich schon auswendig!

bist-du-deppad!?!!!

..hab eigentlich den kitchenblaster gemeint

Old Post 06-06-2005 - 12:11
spin
ficken? wie jetzt?

hab sein album auf vinyl und ich liebe es

zum mix ... allein der erste übergang is sehr fein, gefällt mir!

"We'd say 'the bassline will do more damage!'"

Audio & Mackie Interview
Knowledge Mag August 2004

Old Post 06-06-2005 - 15:39
spin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spin Click here to Send spin a Private Message Find more posts by spin Add spin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Japan Junglism
Warm Colors

Reg.: Aug 2004

Gwaaan Calyx

one of if not THE producer of 2005 so far...

excellent mix as well, future past and present sounds represented!

Old Post 07-06-2005 - 12:31
Japan Junglism is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Japan Junglism Click here to Send Japan Junglism a Private Message Click Here to Email Japan Junglism Find more posts by Japan Junglism Add Japan Junglism to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SNUB

quote:
9. Teebee - Catch My Breath

selbes arrangement wie bei APRIL, aber die bassline is einfach *x-trafein*

Last edited by SNUB on 08-06-2005 at - 19:14

Old Post 08-06-2005 - 19:09
SNUB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SNUB Click here to Send SNUB a Private Message Find more posts by SNUB Add SNUB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ernest0r

Reg.: Sep 2003

ein Hammer die selection

Old Post 11-06-2005 - 14:08
ernest0r is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ernest0r Click here to Send ernest0r a Private Message Click Here to Email ernest0r Find more posts by ernest0r Add ernest0r to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ozenfant
mo' cowbell!

bOh! 62%!

Old Post 11-06-2005 - 15:53
Fatish69

quote:
bOh! 62%!

auweh, auweh.

Old Post 11-06-2005 - 17:00
telemak
rookie

bouhhhhhhhh

massive

Old Post 12-06-2005 - 01:10
telemak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for telemak Click here to Send telemak a Private Message Click Here to Email telemak Find more posts by telemak Add telemak to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Makeedo
-=READ THE BEAT=-

Reg.: May 2002

Kennt wer den Track bei 16:50???

Muss den haben

aber dafür is D'n'B halb tot

Old Post 29-06-2005 - 13:39
Makeedo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Makeedo Click here to Send Makeedo a Private Message Visit Makeedo's homepage! Find more posts by Makeedo Add Makeedo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomX
rookie

Reg.: Mar 2005

Big UP!

selbst dieses Intro habe ich seit geschätzten 5 (oder 6) Jahren nicht mehr gehört ......

Old Post 17-08-2005 - 18:49
tomX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tomX Click here to Send tomX a Private Message Click Here to Email tomX Visit tomX's homepage! Find more posts by tomX Add tomX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ace
°*Orchidee*°

Reg.: Oct 2002

Re: Big UP!

quote:
Originally posted by tomX
selbst dieses Intro habe ich seit geschätzten 5 (oder 6) Jahren nicht mehr gehört ......

yo das intro is sehr genial!!!!

Fliegenpilze?

LÖWEN???

Das Leben ist gefährlich!!!!

Old Post 17-11-2005 - 00:35
ace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ace Click here to Send ace a Private Message Find more posts by ace Add ace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time is now - 12:04 (CET) Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread | Subscribe to this Thread | Next Thread
drumandbass.at : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.4 drumandbass.at > MIXES/(M)TRACKS > >MIX< - Calyx - Doa Mix (May 05)